LIHU‘E — On Sunday, traffic will continue to flow in and around the Koloa, Poipu, Lawai and Kalaheo areas. However, it will be impacted by lane and road closures from 5 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Anyone traveling in these areas should allow extra travel time and proceed with extreme caution.
Below is a listing of full and partial road closures with approximate timetables.
• Poipu Road will be closed from Kapili Road to the Koloa Bypass from 5:30 a.m. to 6:15 a.m.
• Ho‘onani Road will be closed from 5 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. from Lawai Road to Kapili Road.
• Koloa Road inbound lane from Highway 50 will be closed from 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The outbound lane from Koloa to Highway 50 will be temporarily open until 7:45 a.m. At 7:45 a.m., both the inbound and outbound lanes will close until 1:30 p.m.
• Lauoho Road, Waha Road and Pu‘u Roads will be closed to thru traffic from 7:15 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. All residents living in this area are advised to use extreme caution.
• Omao Road from Highway 50 to Koloa Road will be closed to thru traffic from 6:30 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. All residents living in this area are advised to use extreme caution.
• The Koloa Bypass outbound lane will be closed from 5:30 a.m. until 8 a.m. The inbound lane will be open to Poipu bound traffic only during this time.
• Maluhia Road from the Koloa Bypass through to Highway 50 will be closed to outbound traffic from 6:15 a.m. to 8 a.m. The inbound lane will be open at all times, however it will be slowed from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. All traffic on Maluhia and the Koloa Bypass will return to normal by approximately 8:30 a.m.
• Highway 50 from Maluhia west to Omao Road will be restricted to alternating one-way traffic in the mauka lane from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Traffic flow will be monitored by KPD at both Maluhia and Omao Roads.
• Papalina Road from Waha to Pu‘u Road will be restricted to alternating one-way traffic in the mauka lane from 7:15 a.m. until 12 p.m. Traffic flow will be monitored by KPD at both ends.
• As runners retrace their steps via Papalina, Waha, Lauoho and Koloa Roads, the roads will re-open as indicated above once all the runners have passed.
• Kukui‘ula Bypass will be closed to all inbound traffic for both the full and half marathons from 6:15 a.m. until 2 p.m. Outbound traffic from the Poipu roundabout to Koloa Road will remain open.
• The Poipu Roundabout will be open but traffic will be slowed as runners enter the roundabout from Kukui‘ula Bypass and cross over to Lawai Road and then onto Ho‘onani Road. This area will be heavily impacted and slowed considerably from 6:45 a.m. until 2 p.m.
In summary, traffic will flow in and out of all south shore regions, but it is recommended that travel in these areas on race day be limited from 5 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
For more information and course maps, visit www.thekauaimarathon.com.